Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Two Years Ago Today

May 5th 2008 was actually a day exactly like this - unseasonably warm, bright sun shining in an optimistic sky, a glorious Spring day bringing word of warmer, brighter days to come.

My mom was inside the house, watching TV. My father was outside in a lawn chair, putting pebbles in a flowerbox. After the pebbles would come the soil; he was going to plant some four-o'clocks in there. He went to the side of the yard, presumably to the hose bib, to put some water in the box, so the four-o'clocks had a decent shot at taking.

And there it was that my mother found him, fallen on a cement stoop in front of the hose bib, glasses askew, skin cut but not bleeding. His heart, weakened from three heart attacks and genes that always work against our family, finally just gave out. The cuts that didn't bleed told the doctors that he was dead before he fell.

Cyril Robert Jacobs, my father, the anchor of our family, was 75. And his death broke my heart, in ways from which I still have yet to recover. Two years have passed since that awful, awful day, and I have made no more than an uneasy truce with it.

I sunk into a depression that lasted 18 months. In the last six months I have been able to laugh freely again without guilt; I can remember my dad without tears most days; it cannot but be admitted that the slow passage of time has some curative value.

But I'm still broken. And days like today, where he is all I can think about, and the sun is shining brightly in an optimistic sky, are very hard to endure.

So I'm sorry if I'm not quite myself today. I'll be playing the Very Josie tonight. I hope I play well; my dad was tickled at the fact that I showed some small aptitude at poker.

Hey, thanks for listening. I'm sure this was an incredible downer but it helps to type it out.

7 comments:

  1. Gary, I'm stating the obvious, but I'm always here to listen. It's been a long two years. As I said to you via email today, thinking of you and thinking of your dad. I know how hard it is for you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that a beautiful May day brings sadness. My dad would have been 86 tomorrow. He passed away when he was 80. Hard to believe it was almost six years ago. I know it doesn't help much, but I guess you know that it does get better with time.

    Tell you what -- if we ever meet up, we'll get enough alcohol to get us going and trade dad stories. I have a bunch that I can not tell in a politically correct world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I am sure your dad would have been proud to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about you too, it's hard to understand and time does help.
    xxoo((Gary))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all, really.

    Josie, I might have mentioned this to you before, but I'm so very happy that you got to meet my dad before his number came up. That meant the world to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not really think your post is a downer. It is pretty inspirational in a lot of ways. It's nice to see a good family that is tight. It's great that he was out and about doing things he loved at 75. A lot of good in this post.

    My dad died fairly recently too just before he got to retire because he was an idiot and smoked all his life. We definitely were not at close as we should have been. So it is good to hear about people with close relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gary,

    I'm really glad I got to meet him, have dinner with him and listen to some of his stories. Priceless, seeing him in the red sox jacket you bought him. He was was wearing it that night.

    I hope it continues to get easier for you as time passes.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete