Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bringing the Funny, Fifth Grade Style

Well Blogger has "upgraded" me to the new interface, so now I get to see what all the kerfuffle is about and perhaps encounter the same paragraph rendering issue that Auntie Jo did.  So as a test I thought I'd tell a funny story about one time when we were at the Garden, taking in a Bruins game.

(per duggle, making a small edit and re-testing)

(note to Boston sports team haters: at very least until tomorrow, my Boston Bruins are the defending Stanley Cup champions, and even if they lose tomorrow to Ovechkin and the Caps, they still bring the pain in a big way and are every inch the squad that team president Cam Neely wanted to build: a tough, scrappy, grinding-in-the-corners team that will outwork you and be a difficult team to play, win lose or draw.  So haters: suck it.)

So anyway one thing that Josie and I have in common is that neither one of us particularly likes the standard stadium food offerings.  An overcooked sausage that's been sitting in its own grease for three hours on a soggy bun? No thank you.  If I'm there and hungry I usually make a beeline for the deli kiosk, who will sell you a real sandwich - like corned beef with mustard on a roll, just like real food purveyors - and it's as delicious as a $9 sandwich ought to be.

This particular day I got the afore-mentioned corned beef, made in front of me, beef right off the slicer, piled high and lovingly on a bun and bedecked with mustard from a squeeze bottle that made a farty noise just like it should.  Jos got some other sandwich that had been pre-made and was disappointed with it, I seem to recall. So ostensibly to make her feel better I started laying a little foundation of "eh, you know, this sandwich isn't really that great," etc.  I picked up my pickle wedge - half-sour, my very favoritest kind of pickle in all of pickledom - and made a face like it smelled bad.  I handed it to her and said "smell this and tell me if you think it's right."  She leaned in and gave it a smell - and I in my big booming baritone yelled "PICKLE SNIFFER!!" It was so funny that even she laughed.

Comedy gold, my friends.  Comedy gold.  Yes, you can take it and use it for yourself, and I'll tell you in advance: you're welcome.

OK, here we go, let's see if I have paragraphs.

11 comments:

  1. My problem with the interface is that it's buggy.

    Your paragraphs look fine now? Do what I do, open the post again to edit out the inevitable spelling or typing error that I absolutely cannot live with and click save.

    Boom! All your line spaces are gone and your perfectly formatted and readable post is tossed salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using the new interface for months now and I do not have this issue.

      Delete
  2. still looks fine to me - Duggle can you please confirm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My issue with the sandwich is this. Gary takes me on a 3 mile walk to this great deli that he'd been waxing on poetic about ad nauseum. We get there. They freshly cut his corned beef right there, to order - just for his sandwich. Mmmm I like fresh and I do not like corned beef, so I order a different sandwich on the same fucking list, an Italian cold cut sandwich and what do they do?

    They open up a fridge and take out a premade sandwich and hand it to me. Something similar to a convenience store sandwich, which btw, I have NEVER eaten in my life. Not just anything goes into my mouth!

    The disparity between the two sandwiches was mind boggling. Must've been a Jewish deli. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All too true - Josie's recollection matches up perfectly with mine. As for it being a Jewish deli? Maybe. They certainly charged us like Hebrews would.

      I remember that being a fun day, btw. That may have been the time that you asked me why the referees don't blow the whistle to stop a fight. Tee hee!

      Delete
  4. EXCELLENT paragraphs btw.

    I wonder if my blog makes Duggle shudder whenever he sees all the shiat I don't have the time or desire to fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't know what the issue might be - I made an edit just like he said and everything still lines up perfect. Jos, next time I'm over I'll take a look.

      Delete
    2. It's all fixed now. I was referring to operator errors like typos.

      Delete
    3. I think he's just off his rocker

      Delete
  5. It certainly was NOT a Jewish deli. A Jewish deli would never sell you some pre-made sandwich that's beeng sitting in a fridge for hours. It is made to order or it ain't no Jewish deli.

    Besides, what would a Jewish Deli be doing at a hockey game? Jews & Hockey? They go together like pastrami and mayonnaise.

    ReplyDelete