Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Thought for the Season


It was Christmas Eve, babe, in the drunk tank
An old man said to me, "Won't see another one,"
And then he sang a song: The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away and dreamed about you.

Got on the lucky one - came in 18 to 1
I've got a feeling this year's for me and you
So Happy Christmas. I love you baby
I can see a better time when all our dreams come true.

-The Pogues, "Fairytale for New York"

One thing I've always appreciated about Christmas is that, even as an outsider to the proceedings, I notice that the world takes a chill pill for a day or so, and that the normal small cruelties to which we subject each other get suspended for a moment, for a day, for a minute. I really like that, I do. Despite me being more or less a miserable bastard I'm just a sucker for the concept that for a short period of time humankind - or at least all of Christendom - suspends its usual rules of indifference and unfeeling and finds love in their hearts, whatever the motivation.

So: Merry Christmas everyone. I for one am going to try to countermand the forces that have conspired to keep me friendless and foundering. I hope that you all find whatever it is you're looking for, and hope it's not lost irretrievably.

4 comments:

  1. Forget it, I'm still picking on VJ.

    Happy Holidays to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like such a melancholy post but I TRUST you will have a fun family christmas....which is awesome CONSIDERING YOU ARE JEWISH.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
    That he didn't, didn't already have"

    ReplyDelete