Monday, May 28, 2012

I Fucking Hate Poker

What a day at the cash game.  It started with sweet sweet triumph:  I got AA on the button, it was folded to me, I made a standard raise (1.50), SB raised to $4, I raised to $13, he shoved, I called, he had JJ, my aces held up and boom! quick double up.

After that, I could do nothing right. My top 2 pair were munched by a pocket pair that hit; my nut straight on the flop was counterfeited by runner-runner flush; my AQ lost to AK; the list goes on and on.

With those hands I could at least console myself that I didn't lose THAT much dough; I didn't do any donkey overbetting.  But I did actually end up losing all my dough.  Which ain't good; I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.

The hand that felted me was this: Seat 2 is UTG+2, standard raises. I am in seat 6 and call with Ad9d. It's just me and him.  Flop is 9 high crap - no straight draw, no flush draw. Dude bets into me reasonably heavy. I figure nobody who has caught a hand with that board that could beat me would bet heavy on the flop - an overpair or a set would check the flop and wait for me to be a donkeydouche. So I put him on two high cards, making my TPTK way ahead. So I shove - at this point I was so battered that I was under $20 - and sure enough, he calls with AKo.

Do I have to even say what happened?  Dinkus catches his 3-outer on the river and gg Crafty. I got my money in as an 88.5% - 11.5% favorite; how much better do I have to fucking play? I called his hand perfectly and got him to call my shove. And he STILL wins.

You know, these last few weeks, maybe a month or two, win or lose, hands have been holding up.  When I won, it's because I had the better hand all along.  When I lost, I didn't. I can deal with that - even if I lose by doing something stupid and can recognize and learn from it. So maybe, since the poker gods have looked upon me with whatever favor they deigned to spare me, I'm now unused to the cruelty that the game can show. And today Dame Fortune bitch-slapped me like I talked bad about her mama.

It's been a frustrating evening.  I fucking hate this game sometimes.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah -- the "run bad" periods of poker suck really badly. Perhaps you should offer a sacrifice to the poker gods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only have 1 liver and 2 kidneys...what did you have in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest a virgin sacrifice, but the only person around these parts who might qualify is Waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now now now - he has children. You may not be aware of how that all works, but it'd be a little problematic if here were still, shall we say, unknown to woman.

    I WILL NOT make any jokes about turkey basters. Except this one.

    Cool pic with the shades btw. You look like (a thinner) Big Hoss from Pawn Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Now now now - he has children."

    That's why Yahweh made adoption agencies.

    No procreation I see there unless ova now lurk about the phalanges ...

    As for Big Hoss ... nah, now I look even more like Russell Crowe.

    ReplyDelete