Monday, May 7, 2012

The Best Medicine, besides C. sativa

I wrote this last night, and was wondering why no one was reading it - then I realized I never hit "publish."  Mah bad.  Enjoy!

***

You know, it's funny: I started this post with the intention of regaling you guys with some of the funny stuff that Jos and I said and did that were funny enough to induce tears - tears that sprung to both our eyes, actually.

See, I have this theory.  Not a theory, really, more like an outlook, which is simply this:  those times where laughter just completely overtakes you, renders you incapable of doing anything requiring abstract thought or rudimentary coordination, paralyzes you with gales of laughter, are as rare as they are precious. As we get older it happens less and less;  or perhaps closer to the truth is that I've come to appreciate them all the more. It's a tonic, a soothing balm on the open wounds inflicted by life. And rare they most definitely are: I figure a year with 20 of those magic moments is a damn good one.

And that's great, and I was all primed and ready to share; the only problem I have is that I can remember precisely one remark I made that send us into that state (which state, for the sake of convenience, I will henceforth term "Laughter Outer-Space," or LOS).

So you guys are pretty much fooked, and that's a pity, but here's one thing I remember:  As Jo mentioned, I gave up a seat to a lady, right before which we did the Dance of Politesse:  Oh no thank you, no really, I just couldn't impose, please I insist, well thank you and if your friend will turn the other way I'll give you a handy for your trouble. You know the dance.  You've all likely been on both sides of it a thousand times. Well I said to Josie, loud enough fr chair-woman to hear me, "wouldn't it be funny if, had the dance gone on for another round, me ending it by saying" - and here my voice became a menacing, throaty, serial-killer growl - "'I SAID SIT DOWN!'" It sent Josie into LOS immediately, and chair-woman laughed quietly to herself. Auntie Jo, do you remember any details?  email me if you do.

In closing, and because I feel bad about not remembering any of the really good stuff, I'll give you guys a little tidbit about Josie that you may not know:  when something strikes her funny and she isn't expecting it, she will execute a perfect Danny Thomas spit-take, and since for years I sat to her left at the poker table (and since I was often the source of the funny), I've been drenched by an aerosol cocktail of Diet Coke and Josie spit many more times than once.  I find the whole thing endearing as hell, which is a little weird if you think about it.


7 comments:

  1. Awww it's endearing when I spit out what I'm drinking. Who knew? haha. No I don't remember the specifics but I do remember laughing so much the tears smudged my mascara. The horror!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most definitely just laughed out loud at the thought of you bellowing "I SAID SIT DOWN!!!" at the top of your lungs on a crowded train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I really wish I could remember some other stuff.

      Right before that exchange btw, the lady said something like it's good to know that there are still gentlemen in the world and Josie snapped two tendons rolling her eyes.

      Delete
  3. Gary - Since I so lamely did not catch the Gilligan's Island reference last week, I thought I'd let you know this reference to Laughter is the Best Medicine did spark a recollection. My mother despised Reader's Digest because of its conservative bent, but her father sent us a subscription for it every year till they sent him to the Connecticut State Home for the Bewildered (a reference to Tom Lehrer, whom I hope you have heard of and listened to). As a youth, I read everything I could get my hands on, so read those stupid anecdotes in Reader's Digest every month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It seems so inoffensive, so eager to take you in and give you comfort in their gentle stories of American spirit, of triumphs great and small, and Humor in Uniform. Then when you get old enough to understand how the world works you realize it's all right-leaning claptrap with the thinnest veneer of homespun wisdom.

      I too grew up on RD, and grew to resent it for the same reason your Mom did.

      Delete
  4. Josie can spit on me anytime. XD. Dude your like not fat enough in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to test this statement to see if it's true! lol

      Delete