Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Never play a game you don't know well

Played SmBoatDrinks' Tuesday Night Booze Cruise yesterday, a multi-game affair. I believe 8 of the ten games were limit. I think these were the games (open to correction)

Limit Stud
Limit Omaha Hi
Limit Omaha Hi/Lo
PL 2-7 single draw
Limit 2-7 triple draw
Limit HE
NL HE
NL Badugi
Limit Razz
PL Omaha

It was an unmitigated disaster. I haven't played a limit game for money in probably eight years. And though there were definitely some hands I lost because poker is a fickle bitch (just for one example, my king-jack high flush in Stud lost to another, slightly higher King-jack high flush - and remember, no shared cards), most of my chips just got bled out of me because I don't know how to play limit games to any extent. Determining my hand strength was mere guesswork, and brother, did I guess wrong. I finished penultimately; the only player who finished before me was pushmonkey, which is like pretending you're mentally challenged but only winning a silver medal in the Special Olympics.

I have two options going forward for me: To immerse myself in a perhaps years-long quest to achieve competence in limit games, or not to ever fucking play this ridiculous set of games again -- no offense, Boat.

My biggest regret is not lasting to the Badugi round. I might set up a private Badugi tournament to increase my exposure to it. Would you guys play some low-stakes Badugi if it were open to you? Let me know and I'll set it up.

Until next time, please remember my dear Aunt Sally. God, she was a fine piece of ass.

1 comment: