Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Beat Poem for Lightning

Today's tribute to Lightning36 comes to us from Tom Waits, mad genius, eccentric, beat poet, chamption of the downtrodden  and the two-time loser, author of some of the most interesting music that I am personally aware of.  BTW if you want the song, let me know and I'll figure something out.

So let us now picture Lightning in some seedy railroad station bar, staring at the world through the botom of a shotglass, making conversation with some barfly and remembering What Might Have Been.  Lightning, hang in there buddy!

"Bad Liver and a Broken Heart"


Well, I got a bad liver and a broken heart;
Yeah, I drunk me a river since you tore me apart.
And I don't have a drinking problem
'cept when I can't get a drink;
I wish you'd have known her, we were quite a pair...
She was sharp as a razor, and soft as a prayer.
So welcome to the continuing saga,
She was my better half, And I's just a dog
So here I am, slumped
I been chippied, I been chumped
On my stool-
So buy this fool
Some spirits and libations
It's these railroad station bars
And all these conductors and the porters
And I'm all out of quarters...
And this epitaph
Is the aftermath
Yeah, I choose my path
Hey, come on, Kath,
He's a lawyer,
He ain't the one for ya...
No, the moon ain't romantic
It's intimidating as hell
And some guy's tryna sell me a watch
So I'll meet you at the bottom of a bottle of bargain scotch
I got me a bottle and dream
It's so maudlin, it seems...
You can name your poison
Go on ahead and make some noise
I ain't sentimental
This ain't a purchase, it's a rental
And it's purgatory
Hey, what's your story
Well I don't even care;
I got my own doublecross to bear
Well I see your Red Label and I raise you one more;
And you can pour me a cab,I just can't drink no more;
Cause it don't douse the flames
That are started by dames
It ain't like asbestos-
It don't do nothing but rest us assured
And substantiate the rumors that you've heard...



copyright owned by Tom Waits, no disrespect or anything else intended. If you want me to take it down just let me know, and can I have your autograph?

No comments:

Post a Comment