Sunday, February 20, 2011

What you know, and what you think you know, are two different things

For example, newer readers might justifiably think that I am a passionate Bruins fan, to the exclusion of all other teams.  Not so!  My first love, and if you knocked me down and gave me noogies until I cracked, I'd confess, my dearest love, is baseball and the by-god Boston Red Sox.  

From 2005-2008 I took advantage of my proximity to Pawtucket and McCoy Stadium and ran a Farm Report post for the BostonDirtDogs web site.  50,000 hits a day - heady stuff indeed (a couple of typical columns can be found here and here, and a non-typical one can be found at the bottom of the page here). It was a lot of fun and it served to crisp up my writing in a fast hurry:  nothing quite like writing if you aspire to be a writer.

Anyway, my point, and I do have one, is this: another opportunity has come my way to do some writing about the Sox; in fact to run the site itself.  The ownership of Giants 101, a hugely popular NY Giants fan site, are branching out and will be creating among other sites a Red Sox 101 site.  The only catch is, the model calls for a foursome of writers to assure that there is enough content.  As soon as the advertising income covers costs and the site starts running a profit, the writers will be paid according to their contributions.  

So: Like the Sox?  Good writer? Smart? Did you love Johnny Val when you were younger? Want to attract thousands of readers a day instead of hundreds or dozens?  Get in touch with me. 

Until next time, please remember what my dad would say in moments of frustration:  "Fuck you and the Boston Red Sox."  I like to think he meant that kindly.


7 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes and YES!

    Congrats - sounds like a cool thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right Item of clothing, wrong color. We root for the Men in Black in these parts.

    2011 Chicago Whiet Sox: All In

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Josie, thanks - we'll see if anything comes of it.

    @Lightning, just stop it right now. The White Sox aren't even the most popular team in Chicago.

    The 2011 White Sox: 2006 Flashes in the Pan.

    The 2011 White Sox: Our manager is a fucking lunatic.

    The 2011 White Sox: A tradition of excellence since 1919.

    The 2011 White Sox: We sucked last year, we'll suck this year, and we'll suck next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, its amazing how Red Sox fan thinks they are all that over White Sox fan. From my perspective, the only difference between them is one team has won 2 world series in the past 90+ years and the other has one. As the immortal Jules Winnfield said "Allow me to retort"

    - The White Sox are not the most popular team in their city, but they still are in their city. Their second team is not playing in say... Atlanta today
    - The Boston Red Sox - we sold the greatest player in baseball history to our hated rivals
    - We spend like the Yankees without their results and then complain that the Yankees buy their championships. We've sunk so low that we're buying players from the Rays now....after we watched them win the East 2 out of the last 3 years.

    Be careful of the stones you throw there Gary. There are many glass houses out there.

    By the way I enjoyed your posts from McCoy stadium, it brought back memories of seeing Freddy Lynn, Rick Burleson, and Butch Hobson in their pre Bosox days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The 2011 White Sox: We sucked last year, we'll suck this year, and we'll suck next year."

    The White Sox and Red Sox had nearly identical records last year. And guess what? The White Sox went 6-1 against the Red Sux. If you are saying that your team sucks I will not disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Neo: And you will know My name is THE LORD when I lay My vengeance upon thee!

    Ok, where to begin? First of all, there is a 100-year expiration on bad trades, ok? Enjoy it while you still can. But: you want to injure a sox fan? Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson still stings a bit. Babe Ruth for cash? Like Petey said: Show me the Babe, I'll drill 'im in the ass.

    The Braves sucked for their entire time in Boston, just like the Red Sox. Why did they leave? The owner of the Braves did not like beans. True story.

    Notwithstanding the Sox' spending spree this winter, the Yankees are outspending the Sox by some 44 million dollars this year. There are four teams who spent within 44 million of the Sox (Cubs, Phillies, Mets, Tigers). BTW, that 44 million difference could hide the entire payroll of the Padres or the Pirates with plenty of room to spare, so let's make no blithe comments about the negligibility of $44 mill. As for buying players off the Rays, ask Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon, Rays both.

    @lightning: The Red Sox won 89 games without their four best players, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youkilis, and Beckett, and significant time lost for V. Martinez, Cameron, and Buccholz.

    Jeez! Whatever happened to my team is better than yours, nana-nana boo-boo, stick your head in doo-doo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Neo, btw, thanks for saying nice things about my posts.

    ReplyDelete